what you’ll learn
From making informed decisions when choosing and pairing typefaces, to understanding the effect spacing has on the reader, right the way through to the intricacies of web font loading, the workshop equips participants with a broad knowledge of typesetting practices, ready to apply across multiple media.
We’ll be covering:
- Choosing & pairing typefaces
- Emotional & technical considerations surrounding type
- Spacing & context-based adjustments (measure, tracking, leading)
- Constructing a typographic system
- Setting type on the web
- Web font loading, subsetting, and optimisation
- OpenType features
- Knowing when to break the rules
- Hands-on, group-based interactive exercises
Who’s this workshop for?
- Web / app designers looking to supplement their skill set with core typographic principles derived from print design
- Print / graphic designers wanting to arm themselves with technical knowledge about typography on the web
- Web developers seeking to enhance their understanding of design with a focus on typography
- Attendees of the Advanced Typography… conference talk wanting to delve into the geekier design details
Sound interesting to you? Book your place on a future workshop!